May 12, 2013

Mother's Day's hearty swiss roll



Some time ago I received this linktip from my brother's wife, and I've been waiting for the right occasion to try it out.

This weekend I was supposed to have my hands full with a birthday cake making, so I didn't plan on making anything for Mother's Day. But since this weekend's cake was moved forward a couple of weeks, I suddenly had both time and extra ingredients.  


For this swiss roll I made a simple filling of (sweetened) babies' raspberry and blueberry puree and whipped cream.


Once you've made the swiss roll batter, move some of it into a separate bowl and mix in some food colouring
Pipe decorations with the coloured batter onto a baking sheet
Bake in the oven (200°C) for 2-3 minutes and let cool a bit
(another option is to freeze the decorations for about 10 minutes in the freezer)
Spread the remaining swiss roll batter on top of the decorations and bake normally
Turn the baked swiss roll over on another sheet of baking paper and  carefully remove the sheet from the decorated side.
NOTE! You'll need to turn the sheet cake over once more before adding the filling so that the decorated side will become the outside layer of the swiss roll


No comments:

Post a Comment