April 29, 2013

Orange flavoured sunset cake


There happened to be a couple of orange flavoured cream cheese tubs in my fridge with the best before date soon approaching, so surprisingly I decided to make a cake.

The base is the American style 'pound cake', with a simple cream cheese filling.


2 dl      double cream (whipped)
200 g   orange flavoured cream cheese
0,5 dl   powdered sugar

I made this cake in a 20cm cake tin, and put all of the filling between two tiers of the cake, even though it seemed too much. I think this amount of filling for this size cake might have been enough to also cover the cake, but as I wanted to try a new technique with fondant, I just covered the cake first with buttercream.



At the Cake and Bake Show in Manchester I admired the numerous textured rolling pins they had for sale, but they were quite expensive and I decided to invest my money elsewhere.

I had previously made a simple mold out of thin chopping board for the Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon cake, and I used the same technique also this time.



These inexpensive chopping boards I found from Ikea, and my grandad's 1978 selfmade carving tools were perfect for the task. Sure it took a countless number of hours to carve, but what wouldn't I do to save some money... :D



The second technique used in this cake was mixing a petal (or luster) dust with vodka for airbrushing (seen once again in some American cake programs), and it worked amazingly well! I can now forget about the expensive airbrushing colours and start using the local liquor store more. ;)

By the way, alcohol in the vodka evaporates from the cake leaving only the colour behind, so it should be safe to use even for kids' cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment