December 8, 2012

Wedding cake




A few months ago I got a request for a cake or two for "a party" around the middle of December. I was excited, of course. I love making cakes. 
When after a while I was told that it was going to be a wedding (although a very small one and a surprise to all the guests), I got even more excited. I was also very flattered. A wedding cake is - after all - a wedding cake, no matter how small the party.

I had about three months time to design this cake, and every so often wanted to just start bringing my designs to life. I wanted to make a tiered cake - partly because I've wanted to try making a tiered cake, and on the other hand because it was going to be a wedding cake,

I also wanted to make this cake personal but elegant at the same time, so I ended up just personalising the decoration.

This couple both seemed enthusiastic about kettlebelling, so I wanted to incorporate that into the cake one way or another. With this theme in mind I made three different designs of the cake (or more like of the ornament), of which the couple decided on this bride holding the groom - even the groom himself liked this one! :)

Because the ornament needed time to dry really well, it was possible (and necessary) to make it beforehand. So I made this bride and groom ornament a couple of weeks ago already, and all started from a wire skeleton which I shaped according to the model picture.



Filling the wire skeleton with sugar fondant proved to be a difficult task at first, as the fondant was reluctant to stay on the smooth wire surface. You learn by trying, so after a while I managed to get the bride done. The groom was an easy task after having practiced the correct technique with making the bride.

Despite the original design, the groom got a top hat on his head. That also solved my problem of how and what from to make his hair. In the end the hair was left "hidden" under the hat :)

For some reason the bride became sturdier than intended (sorry about that ;) ), but otherwise the ornament turned out as planned. And the result was - above all - personal!

The colour theme for the cake was black and white, and the desired flavour of the cake was chocolate, so I made a chocolate cake with a chocolate mousse filling. 








CONGRATULATIONS 
MINNA AND TOMI!



No comments:

Post a Comment