December 5, 2012

Independence day blueberry and white chocolate quark cake


Brilliant! A national holiday and a reason to make something yummy!

Different kinds of gelatin-based cakes are easy and fast to make, and I have had for some time now an idea to take a ordinary jellied cake "to the next level". This blueberry and white chocolate quark cake isn't that quick to prepare, as its two differently flavoured layers both require their own time to set.

And when I speak about layers, I don't mean layers as such, but more like a cake inside a cake. The outcome was as hoped, but patience this cake requires more than a traditional two or three layered gelatin based cake.

On top of everything I made two different size cakes - one for work and one for my family to have over an Independence day dinner. The loose base tins I had to use were ø20cm, ø24cm and ø26cm, and I also borrowed another ø24cm tin from my mum for the "hidden layer" of the bigger cake.

First I made the base in the larger tin, then
the smaller cake on top of that
Because I wanted to make a quark cake the top layer of which would also cover the sides, I had to calculate the volumes of each cake very carefully. The formula I used was more or less like this:
π*x²*h (inner cake) + π*y²*(h+1)-π*x²*h (outer layer)
in which x is the radius of the smaller tin, y is the radius of the larger tin and h is the height of the inner cake (in centimeters). I had to check how to calculate the area of a circle, as after years of not needing that information, I had forgotten how to calculate it. :)
This time the actual making of the cake was a bit over shadowed by all this nerdiness, at least when it comes to the time used. But well begun is half done!

For the inner cake I made a blueberry quark cake and for the top layer I made a white chocolate quark cake slightly modifying the recipe of the orange and white chocolate cheesecake I made earlier. This time I used way too much gelatin for the top layer, and I had to whisk the mix frantically every so often while I was spreading it on top of the cakes. So this wasn't quite the perfect execution. Because the white chocolate quark was difficult to spread, I decided to add a blueberry "mirror" layer on top to try to improve the look of the cakes.


HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY FINLAND!

No comments:

Post a Comment