November 3, 2012

Sugar hearts




I have for some time now wanted to try making clear sugar decorations, but haven't yet come round to buying isomalt, which is used in making the clear decorations.

As a past time (and with some inspiration from Masterchef Australia and a gingerbread decoration tip from Confetti) I tried first a slightly cheaper alternative: hard candy (this time I used an orange flavoured Chupa chups lollipop).
As I only had one lollipop to work with, I couldn't make any large pieces of decorations. Therefore, after trial and error, I ended up making this kind of decorations:



Crush the lollipop to as fine powder as possible. Spread the powder evenly on a baking paper laid on a baking tray and heat up in the oven at about 175°C for a couple of minutes until the powder has completely melted.
When the sugar is still hot, press the desired mold (large uniform surfaces are less fragile) firmly into the mix and let the mixture cool for a bit.
When the sugar is still slightly warm, carefully snap the surrounding sugar off the sugar shapes. Left over sugar can be crushed and used again.

No comments:

Post a Comment