June 19, 2013

TOPModel birthday cake




This cake was a result of a trade, as I needed cardboard cake boxes from Lappeenranta and my cousin needed a birthday cake for her daughter.

Apparently the birthday girl likes TOPModel -books, so I took that idea and used my long-ago-acquired but so far unused book shaped cake tin. I didn't however remember to check the amount of filling with the volume of the tin, so this time the cake turned up slightly flat. Oops. (*This time I got to taste the cake too, and I noticed that the amount of filling was actually just right in the end. Phew)
I also forgot to draw the lines of the pages while the fondant was still soft, so I left them out completely. Double oops.

Once again I wanted to bring "something extra" to the cake, so I ended up making a couple of colour pencils (with birthday girl's name and age on them) and of course a much needed pencil sharpener and some pencil shavings - all out of sugar fondant. :)



This cake had a caramel filling, but my unfortunately my "Limited Edition" Daim hot chocolate powder ran out and the Dumle hot chocolate I replaced it with just wasn't quite caramelly enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment